Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Differences Between The Americans and Russians

With the world all in a dither about what is going on between Russia and Urkaine, perhaps a touch of humor from President Ronald Reagan will give a little relief.
I spoke [to students in Russia] of the difference between our two countries [USA and USSR]. I try to follow the humor of the Russian people. We don't hear much about the Russian people. We hear about the Russian leaders. But you can learn a lot, because they do have a sense of humor, and you can learn from the jokes they're telling. And one of the most recent jokes I found kind of, well, personally interesting. Maybe you might -- tell you something about your country.
The joke they tell is that an American and a Russian were arguing about the differences between our two countries. And the American said, "Look, in my country I can walk into the Oval Office; I can hit the desk with my fist and say, 'President Reagan, I don't like the way you're governing the United States.'" And the Russian said, "I can do that.'' The American said, "What?'' He says, "I can walk into the Kremlin, into Brezhnev's office. I can pound Brezhnev's desk, and I can say, 'Mr. President, I don't like the way Ronald Reagan is governing the United States.'''
Ronald Reagan, commencement address at his alma mater, Eureka College, California, 9 May 1982.
http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/archives/speeches/1982/50982a.htm

Lets think together again, soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment