The first meeting of this committee was in Salt Lake City in October 1971. It was marked by fresh and divergent thinking that led to some disagreement, but under Elder Eyring’s direction these twenty strong men were led by the Spirit. They were together three hours before lunch. At the end of that period they agreed to investigate a very interesting question:
"If we looked at a 10-year planning horizon and assumed the Lord would come then, what behaviors, attitudes, and skills would the members of the Church and those around them need to have for the Lord to be able to come?"(2)
- The patriarchal order working well enough in most homes that the present auxiliary functions could be performed in the home.
- Most families, worldwide, economically self-supporting with a surplus to support education and church service.
- The solutions and people to implement them in place to produce social order and the health and nutrition environment for a peaceful, happy life. (Must be implemented soon after the Savior’s coming.)
- The members bilingual, with English as a first or second language.
- Effective managers for the church in every country, many of them men now illiterate.(3)